Saturday, December 22, 2012

It's Pinecone Season ~ a tiny tutorial

pinecone step by step

pinecone step by step 1
I love drawing pinecones. It's like drawing a puzzle. 
Start by sketching the exterior shape, and then placing the shapes. Work in regular pencil, lightly and loosely, to get the proportion and placement.
pinecone step by step 2
Once the pencil drawing is down, use a water soluble pencil like I did here (or a Tombow pen), and refine the drawing. Look closely at each detail to redraw shapes.
pinecone step by step 2a

pinecone step by step 3

pinecone step by step 4

pinecone step by step 5
Once your drawing is done, use clear water to activate the water soluble pencil. Use a light touch, and try to leave the white of the page.
pinecone step by step 6

pinecone step by step 7

And don't miss another pinecone tutorial, this one with ink and watercolor.

I'll be teaching some new and some revived Sketching and Watercolor: Journal Style classes starting in January. ONLINE. Please go to my website and sign up to receive my newsletter (in the right hand column) to get the first word of my new online classes.

3 comments:

  1. I love this, Jane! I've never used a water soluble pencil, but may have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane, thank you for your generosity. I enjoy reading your blog and you inspire me to keep going with my drawing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails